Switch to paperless billing
Paperless billing is another way to receive your Council Tax bill. Instead of receiving a paper bill in the post, you will be able to view your bill online.
How to switch to paperless billing
If you haven't already, you'll need to register for a Self Service account. Self Service is the simple and secure sign-in service for managing your Council Tax.
- Enter your details, confirm your email, set a password and choose a security question from the list provided
- Add 'Council Tax'
- Verify your email - your account will be active when you click on the link in the email that we will send you
- You will then receive confirmation that your registration is complete
- Log back into your account, enter your 8-digit Council Tax reference number and select 'Access Now'. You will be asked specific questions about you and your property. If you unable to answer the questions, you will have the option to request a PIN. This will take two or three working days to arrive in the post.
Once your account has been activated you will be able to select the paperless billing option.
You will receive an email when your next bill is ready to view.
With a Self Service account, you can also:
- apply for a discount or exemption
- make a payment arrangement
- check your account and transactions and view the communications we have sent to you
- view Council Tax bands for properties in Derby.
Important 16/02/2021: Customers who have been using the Council’s customer portal MyAccount, will have recently received an email from Derby City Council promoting access to your Council Tax account. This email will have been sent from email@example.com. We’d like to assure residents that this and future communications from this address are genuine.