Independent travel training
Derby's Independent Travel Training offers young people with special educational needs or disabilities a set of essential skills to enable them to travel independently.
Travel Trainers will develop a tailor-made training programme to gradually develop independence on a specific route to and from school or college. They usually work with a learner for about 10 return sessions, gradually developing their independence through accompanied, close and distance shadowed journeys.
Independent Travel Training offers many benefits to students:
- promotes independence and enables students to access positive social activities
- increases confidence and helps them to feel safer in their community
- helps to improve social skills and maintain relationships
- opens up many routes to further education, employment or leisure.
What support is available?
The travel training programme will provide students with a wide ranging package of support, including:
- coping with traffic and road safety
- learning the highway code
- confidence in using buses and trains
- journey planning
- how to use timetables and visual aids
- where to get help
- personal safety
- money skills.
Once the training is complete, the student will receive a certificate in recognition of the fundamental life skills they have gained and the hard work they have put into the training.
For more information,view our Independent travel training leaflet.
Making a referral
If you would like to refer a student for Independent Travel Training, or if you are a school that wants to provide Independent Travel Training to your pupils, contact the Home to School Travel team:
Telephone: 01332 642716
Relay UK: 18001 01332 640758