Castleward Urban Village
Housing-led regeneration at Castleward Urban Village (CUV) is a priority project in Derby’s City Centre Masterplan 2030 and critical to achieving the housing targets in the Derby City Local Plan. At least 512 new dwellings are proposed within the Order Land.
Compulsory purchase order (CPO) powers
The Local Plan specifically envisages the use of compulsory purchase powers to deliver the wider CUV, if necessary.
Early phases of development at CUV were completed without the requirement for us to exercise our compulsory purchase order (CPO) powers.
The Castleward CPO was made in March 2020. The Inspector on behalf of the Secretary of State has arrived at a decision confirming the CPO enabling the Council to acquire land to deliver new housing. Our preferred option remains the acquisition of property interests by mutual agreement and we will CPO as a last resort.
We have, and will continue to, put considerable effort into engaging with all known owners of land or interests that will be directly affected by the CPO.
Compulsory purchase system guidance can be found on GOV.UK.
Our justification for the use of CPO powers is set out in:
More information about the CPO is available in the:
General Vesting Declarations (GVD)
Following a public inquiry held in January 2021, the Castleward CPO was confirmed by the Planning inspector on behalf of the Secretary of State on 29 April 2021.
The CPO is being made through what's known as a General Vesting Declaration (GVD) process. The first GVD was declared in November 2022, refer also to the General Vesting Declaration no.1 Plan. A second GVD was declared in July 2023 in respect of property on Liversage Street.
A hard copy of the documents is available at the Riverside Library until 31 March 2023.
CPO core documents
The following evidence supports the Derby City Council (Castleward) Compulsory Purchase Order 2020:
- Core bundle index (file size: 654KB)
- Core documents (Bundle 1)
- Core documents part 1 - order documents (file size: 10MB)
- Core documents part 2 - planning permission (file size: 503KB)
- Core documents part 3 - policy guidance (file size: 14.1MB)
- Core documents part 4 - other supporting documents (file size: 2MB)
- Core documents part 5 - legislation (file size: 594KB)
- Local authority evidence (Bundle 2)
- Outstanding objections (Bundle 3) to the CPO are also available to download.
- Rebuttal evidence (Bundle 4)