Getting support for your child's mental health
Free online counselling to support mental health and wellbeing, without the need for a referral, is available in Derby and Derbyshire from Kooth and Qwell services.
- Kooth is for children and young people aged 11 to 18 years, and up to 25 years for children in care
- Qwell service is for parents and carers whose children are under 18 years.
The services provide access to text-based counselling support from midday until 10pm on weekdays and 6pm until 10pm on weekends, and 24/7 access to online forums where concerns and relevant articles can be shared and discussed.
There are also a number national helplines or support services you, or your child, can contact at this time for support:
- Childline is the UK's free helpline for children and young people. It provides a confidential counselling service for any child with a problem.
- Samaritans provides non-judgmental emotional support for those experiencing feelings of distress, despair or suicidal thoughts. Tel: 116 123 free helpline (24 hours), or email email@example.com.
- BEAT offers information, help and support for anyone affected by eating disorders. They have a number of helplines on their website.
- Papyrus provide confidential support and advice to young people under the age of 35 who are experiencing thoughts of suicide, and anyone worried about a young person at risk of suicide.
The full range of mental health support services can be found on the Derby and Derbyshire Emotional Health and Wellbeing website.