Mercian Regiment Freedom Parade to march around city centre
Published: 20 June 2022
On Tuesday 28 June, members of the Mercian Regiment will perform a military parade around Derby city centre from 12noon. The parade will be led by a military band and regimental mascot, Private Derby.
As part of the parade, troops from the regiment will be inspected by HM Lord Lieutenant of Derbyshire Mrs Elizabeth Fothergill CBE, Derbyshire High Sheriff, Michael Copestake and Mayor of Derby, Councillor Robin Wood.
The Mercian Regiment (Cheshire, Worcesters and Foresters, and Staffords) were granted The Freedom of Entry to the City in September 2007. This historic honour gives the regiment the right to march through the streets of the City with bayonets fixed, drums beating and colours flying.
Due to the parade, a number of roads and car parks in the city centre will be closed ahead of the event.
Assembly Rooms car park will be closed from 7.00pm on Monday 27 June and reopen at 3.00pm on Tuesday 28 June. Residents and visitors can use Chapel Street or Bold Lane car park.
On Tuesday 28 June from 8.00am to 2.00pm, Full Street from its junction with Queen Street to the junction with Assembly Rooms Car Park Exit Slip Road and Sowter Road from junction with St Michaels Lane to junction with Full Street will be closed to traffic.
On the same day from 10.00am to 2.00pm the following roads will be closed to all traffic:
- Iron Gate from the junction with Full Street to Market Place
- Derwent Street from the junction with Stuart Street and the junction with Corporation Street
- Victoria Street from Junction with St James Street to the junction with St Peters Street.
- Albert Street from Junction with St peters Street to the junction with Corporation Street
- Tennant Street from Junction with Corporation Street to Market Place
- Corporation Street from the junction with Derwent Street to Junction with Morledge
- Morledge from the junction with Corporation Street to the junction with Bus Station entrance.
- Thorntree Lane from the junction with Morledge to the junction with St Peters Street
- Exchange Street from Junction with Albert Street to Junction with East Street
- St Peters Street from Junction with Albert Street to the junction with East Street
- Cornmarket from the junction with Albert Street to Market Place
At the same time Morledge from the junction with Bus Station entrance to the junction with The Cock Pitt will allow access for busses only.
All parking on these streets will also be suspended during these times.