Derby City Council reminds all food businesses that they must register with them

Published: 2 November 2022

Two chefs in a kitchen preparing food

Derby City Council’s Food and Safety team is calling for all new food businesses to register with them.

Derby City Council’s Food and Safety team is calling for all new food businesses to register with them.

The COVID-19 pandemic has seen a huge increase in food businesses based in people’s homes. Since March 2020, 37% of new food ventures registering through the FSA’s digital service ‘Register a Food Business’, are run from domestic kitchens at private addresses. Many are failing to register with their environmental health teams as a food business.

These sellers are potentially putting consumers at risk as they may have little knowledge of food safety.

All food businesses have a legal obligation to register 28 days prior to opening, it’s an offence not to do so. Businesses must register whether selling online, via social media sites, trade from a physical customer-facing premises or simply selling food from a home kitchen.

Without registration the Food and Safety team cannot assess the nature of the business, provide appropriate advice or give a Food Hygiene Rating where appropriate. The team can also help home caterers and those who sell online to identify when their hobby may have developed into a food business.

Michael Jackson, Deputy Director - Head of Regulatory Compliance, at the Food Standards Agency (FSA) said:

“Local Authorities need to know who is trading in their area and registration is an opportunity to ensure that food businesses have access to relevant guidance and support to help them get it right from the start and to protect consumers.”

Councillor Jerry Pearce, Cabinet Member for Streetpride, Leisure and Public Spaces said:

“We have seen a huge increase in people selling food from their homes which is why we’re working with the FSA to support businesses in Derby to ensure they are registering and keeping us informed of changes to their businesses.

“Registration is free and can’t be refused. If you are already trading and have not registered yet, you need to get registered as soon as possible as this is a legal requirement.”

Get more information

  • Food businesses can get more information on the FSA website
  • Not sure if you should register as a food business? Check our website.
Share this article…
FB   LI   TW   WA   EM