Have you got your Voter ID for the 4 July General Election?

Published: 6 June 2024

Derby Elections logo with a green tick in a box.

People voting at polling stations must have an accepted form of photo ID to vote.

All polling station voters will need to show an accepted form of photo ID at the polls in the upcoming General Election on Thursday 4 July.

Changes to the Elections Act 2022 means that if you’re planning to vote in person, you’ll need to bring an accepted form of photo ID with you. If you go to the polling station without any accepted ID or a Voter Authority Certificate, you won’t be allowed to vote.

Most voters will already have an accepted form of photo ID that they can use, but it’s important that you double check the list of eligible forms of ID in advance to make sure that you don’t miss out on your chance to vote.

All accepted forms of ID must include your photo and be suitably secure, such as a passport, driving license or blue badge. If you have an accepted form of ID but the date has expired, you’ll still be able to use it if the photo is still a good likeness.

Don’t have anything which is on the list of eligible ID? Don’t worry, you can apply for a Voter Authority Certificate. This is a form of ID issued by the Council, which will allow you to vote in the 2024 Combined Mayoral Authority and Police and Crime Commissioner Elections.

It’s free to and easy to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate either on the Government website or by contacting our helpline on 01332 640837 by 5pm on Wednesday 26 June. You should only apply if you don’t already have an accepted form of ID.

If you would prefer not to show ID at a polling station, you can apply online to vote by post or proxy. Photo ID isn’t required to apply or vote in these ways, although your proxy will be required to show their own ID at the polling station.

The deadline for applying for a postal vote is 5pm Wednesday 19 June, and the deadline to apply for a proxy to vote on your behalf is 5pm Wednesday 26 April.

Still have questions? There’s lots of information on the Electoral Commission website.

Share this article…
FB   LI   TW   WA   EM