If you are a full-time student, you may be eligible for a Council Tax discount or exemption.
Full-time students attending college or university
You’re a full-time student if:
- you’re 18 or over and at college, university or similar
- your course runs for 24 weeks or more a year
- you study for at least 21 hours a week
- the college or university confirms your course is full-time.
If you are a full-time student and live alone or if you are a full-time student living with other full-time students, you don't have to pay Council Tax.
Please note, it is important that you tell us about your situation or you will still receive a Council Tax bill for the full amount.
If you are a single parent or you live with a full-time student, you may still qualify for a 25% discount.
To apply for a full-time student discount, you'll need to sign in or register for myAccount.
Full-time students under 20 years of age
You may qualify for a student discount if you study for a qualification up to A level and you are under 20, your course must:
- last for 24 weeks or more
- involve at least 12 hours of study per week
Evening classes and courses related to someone’s job for example, day release do not qualify for a discount.
To apply for a full-time student discount for under 20 years of age, you'll need to sign in or register for myAccount.
If you are a part-time student you will still need to pay Council Tax however you may be able to claim Council Tax Support.
Halls of Residence
Halls of Residence do not have to pay Council Tax if they are occupied by students and owned and managed by an educational establishment.
Non-British spouse of a student or non-British dependant of a student
If you are a full-time foreign student with a partner or dependant and they aren't a British citizen (so they can't work or claim benefits) you won't have to pay Council Tax
Student nurse university-based
If you are a full-time student nurse, you don't have to pay Council Tax if you:
- attend a course which leads to a first registration on Parts 1 to 6 or 8, under Section 10 of the Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act 1979
- are studying at either a college of nursing or a college of health.
Student nurse hospital-based
Student nurses taking traditional hospital-based training do not count as student.