Check out the latest advice, service disruptions, information and support about Coronavirus
Raynesway Household Waste and Recycling Centre
You can take most household waste and recycling to Raynesway Household Waste and Recycling Centre (HWRC). Check our A-Z of recycling and rubbish for a list of what you can and can’t take.
Raynesway is for Derby residents using a private vehicle to dispose of household recycling and waste. Vans and pick-up trucks must be under 3.5 tonnes and we only accept domestic type trailers which are less than 2m long. Larger vehicles or trailers are not permitted on site.
To make your trip quicker and easier, sort your waste before you go. For example, put cardboard together in one bag, plastics in another.
Recycling and waste should be deposited in the appropriate bay. Once waste has been deposited it becomes the responsibility of the operators. To maximise recycling, reuse, composting and recovery of waste, we don’t allow items to be taken away by other parties.
Staff are available to help, so please ask if you need it.
When can I visit Raynesway?
Changes have been made at Raynesway to keep everyone safe.
You cannot visit without a free booking - if you arrive without a booking, you will be turned away and could cause delays for others who have booked
Please do not call the site directly to try and make a booking.
Please only make one booking at a time.
Monday from 8am to 6pm
Tuesday to Friday from 1pm to 7pm
Saturday to Sunday from 8am to 6pm
Address:Raynesway Household Waste and Recycling Centre
Raynesway Park Drive,
Staying safe at the site
Raynesway is a working site so please wear appropriate footwear and follow any signage to help keep you, other visitors and staff safe.
You can only visit Raynesway HWRC if:
- You have booked a time slot to visit the site – if you try to visit the site without a permit, you will not be given access and you will cause delays for others
- You are unable to make use of other options such as the bulky waste service, a licensed waste carrier, hiring a skip or the free garden waste service
- You’ve considered reuse and recycle options such as Facebook Market Place, Freecycle, Gumtree etc.
- You or anyone in your household has not had any coronavirus symptoms for the last 14 days
- Please do not bring children or pets to the site. If children or pets exit vehicles, we will have to close the site to everyone and it will cause delays for others.
When visiting Raynesway HWRC:
- Please do not move cones or barriers to get to skips
- Where possible, only one adult from each household should visit the site
- Two people from a household can visit together if they are bringing large waste items such as a fridge freezer or sofa
- Staff on-site will not be able to help to unload items for the vast majority of visitors – this is so we can maintain social distancing. However, help will be available for those that genuinely need it and you can ask
- You must wear gloves and appropriate footwear, when unloading waste from your vehicle and taking it to the skips
- You must keep a distance of two metres between you and any other visitors or staff. If you don’t, we will have to close the site completely until we’re sure that social distancing can be maintained
- Only bring items we can accept at the site. You can check our A-Z of recycling and rubbish.
- Please do not bring excessive quantities of waste or items. This could cause delays for other people wishing to visit and our staff are not able to help as they normally would
- There are no hand washing facilities on site for visitors. Please wash your hands as soon as you get home
More information is available in our Raynesway HWRC FAQs.
Limits on DIY waste
You can dispose of limited amounts of home DIY waste at Raynesway. This includes:
- up to 50kg of concrete, cement, mortar, rubble, soil and turf (for example, two 25kg sacks) in a single visit.
and/or one of the following:
- a bathroom suite: one bath, one sink, one toilet and one bidet only, one shower screen/cubicle
- one or two window frames and doors (with or without glass)
- small amounts of plasterboard or plasterboard products, not whole sheets
- dismantled fitted furniture (wardrobes, kitchens)/fence panels/dismantled sheds – no more than one car boot full or equivalent
Visitors who reach these maximum amounts must wait one week before making return visits.
Residents making excessive numbers of trips with large volumes of waste may be turned away from the site.
If you are planning major refurbishment work to your house or garden, or carrying out a house clearance we recommend you hire a skip as part of the project. Alternatively, a commercial bulky waste collection may be suitable. If using a private waste removal service (man with a van) please ensure they are licensed to carry waste. If your waste ends up fly-tipped, you could be liable for prosecution.
Asbestos and chemicals
Residents visiting to deposit volumes of waste unlikely to have been generated by a private household or making excessive numbers of trips with large volumes of waste, may be turned away from the site. Please contact the Raynesway site either in person or by calling 01332 755482 before you visit to make sure they can accept your material. Please note that the phone is not always manned.
As a guide, we will accept:
- small quantities (a maximum of five litres or five kilograms) of hazardous waste, such as pesticides, oils (including cooking oil), mercury and petrol
- A maximum of 10l of engine oil
- small quantities of asbestos waste from minor repair works to roofs and guttering
- a maximum of three sheets or panels of asbestos, measuring six foot by three foot (1.83m x 0.91m).
- dampen the asbestos before lifting or moving it to help prevent the release of asbestos cement fibres
- do not break up or cut the asbestos to fit in plastic bags. Instead double-wrap sheets/panels in plastic sheeting or bags
- we won’t allow you to make a return visit
- you must dispose of larger quantities by private registered asbestos removal contractors.
What can’t I take to Raynesway?
Most recycling and waste can be taken to Raynesway but there are a few items that we can’t accept.
- Waste from a commercial business (this includes landlords disposing of waste from rental properties) or that left by a tradesperson. Businesses wishing to dispose of commercial recycling and waste should get in contact with our Commercial Waste service (provided in partnership with Nottingham City Council).
- Scrap vehicles or parts, including trailers
- Soiled pet bedding/litter (it presents a health risk to site staff)
- Waste from building demolition
If you have any questions about waste management, please complete our online contact us form.