Worried about becoming homeless
If you are homeless or worried about becoming homeless we can help. Let us know and we will discuss your situation and needs with you.
Call us at Housing Options on 01332 888777 (choose option 4 for homeless or 5 for threatened with homeless)
When you contact us:
- your situation will be assessed under the Homelessness Reduction Act 2018
- we may arrange for you to come and see a homelessness advisor for a homeless assessment or arrange a home visit. Shelter's website has information about homeless assessments.
- you will need to provide information about your circumstances
- if it is determined that you are at risk of homelessness we will give you a personalised housing plan.
What counts as homelessness?
You can be homeless even if you have somewhere to live. Further information about what homelessness is can be found on Shelter.
If you are homeless we might provide you with temporary accommodation whilst we look at your homeless application. This will depend on your personal circumstances.
Information about emergency housing from the council can be found on Shelter's website.
Find a home with a private landlord
Find out more information in our section Find a home with a private landlord
Referrals to another authority
If you are homeless but you do not have a local connection to Derby we may refer you to the local authority where you do have a connection.
Find out information about local connection on Shelter's website.
Further help - main housing duty
If you are still homeless after 56 days we will decide if we have a main housing duty
This is only owed to people in certain situations.
To qualify for the main housing duty all the following five criteria must apply:
- you need to be eligible for help
- you need to be homeless
- you need to be in priority need
- you need to have become homeless through no fault of your own
- you need to have a local connection to Derby.
Information relating to the provision of suitable housing and related support can be found in the Strategies and polices section