Apply for a boatperson licence
Documents required before submitting an application
In support of an application you will need to obtain and supply the following documents. Any application received without supporting documentation will not be processed.
Accepted medical certification
- Group 2 standard
- ENG1 - set maritime and coastguard agency for sea going vessel
- ML5 - seafarer
- CAA - commercial pilot licence medical certificate
- HSE - diving medical certificate.
Accepted training certification
- MCA Boatmaster’s Licence for a local passenger vessel (BML) grade 3 or 2 for the appropriate area
- Canal and River Trust Boatmanship Licence
- National Community Boats Association Certificate in Community Boat Management
- Waterman’s Licence issued by a competent authority for the appropriate area, where available
- Royal Yachting Association (RYA) Powerboat (level 2) with 12 months relevant experience
- RYA Inland Helmsman’s certificate with 12 months relevant experience.
Apply for a licence
How to apply
1. Complete the Boatperson licence application form.
2. Ensure you have obtained all the required supporting documentation and submit this with the application form. Any application received without supporting documentation will not be processed.
3. View and pay the licence fee prior to submitting your application. Our licensing payments page explains what fees apply and how to pay them.
4. Email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- completed application form
- supporting documentation
- a copy of your payment receipt.
You must include your payment receipt and supporting documentation with the application. Any application received without a payment receipt or supporting documentation will not be processed.