Do I need a licence?
The Council requires any pleasure boats or vessels used for hire, or used for carrying passengers for hire to hold a licence. The person in charge of such a vessel, the boatperson is also required to hold a licence. Licences last for 12 months.
The purpose of licensing is to protect the public and promote public safety.
The Pleasure Boat or Vessel and Boatperson Policy provides clear guidance to applicants.
Applications will be considered on their own merits, and may be referred to the Licensing Committee, if necessary.
If granted the licence will last for 12 months.
If refused, you may appeal to the Magistrates Court
Fines and penalties
If you don’t hold a licence and hire out or use your pleasure boat to carry passengers, you could be fined up to £1,000.
You could also be fined £1,000 if you don’t follow any conditions of your licence.
A Boatperson's licence is required by those in the charge of the navigation of pleasure boats and pleasure vessels to be used for carrying passengers for hire on water in the Derby City Council's area.
A Licence is valid for a period of one year from the date of issue.
The Licence-holder must:
- Be 18 years of age or over.
- Have a basic criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) on application and subsequent renewals.
- Have passed and have certification for a relevant boat or vessel handling certificate.
- Have a medical certificate on application and on renewal of the licence.
- Have a full knowledge of all statutory rules, regulations and byelaws applicable to navigation on the water or waters for which the licence is required.
- The Licence Holder shall, within 7 days of the date of being arrested, charged or summonsed for any alleged criminal offence disclose to the council in writing, particulars of each alleged offence and which court the proceedings are pending.
- The Council may suspend or revoke a licence at any time it deems such suspension or revocation to be necessary or desirable in the public interest.
- If any of the details on this licence change, these must be notified to the Council within 7 days by email to email@example.com or in writing to The Licensing Team, Derby City Council, Council House, Corporation Street, Derby, DE1 2FS. Notification may not be delayed until the next application for renewal of the Licence.