Essential maintenance

myAccount will be unavailable on Thursday 18 July between 5pm and 7pm due to essential maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Prize gaming permit

The following do not need to apply:

  • Holders of adult gaming centre premises licences
  • Holders of family entertainment centre premises licences
  • Holders of family entertainment centre gaming machine permits
  • Travelling fairs
  • Bingo halls.  

This is because they are authorised by the Gambling Act to offer prize gaming, subject to certain conditions and therefore do not require a separate prize gaming permit.

You can only apply if you are the person who occupies, or plans to occupy, the relevant premises. If the applicant is an individual, they must be aged 18 or over. 

Holders of premises licences under the Gambling Act and holders of club gaming permits may not apply for prize gaming permits. Applicants are not required to have an operating licence issued by the Gambling Commission. 

Prize gaming permits do not permit the provision of gaming machines. Certain equipment for example, mechanised cash bingo equipment, used for prize gaming will not be treated as gaming machines.

Complete or provide the following:

  • the appropriate application form
  • the appropriate fee for the application being made
  • details of the types of gaming that it is intended to offer
  • evidence that applicants understand the limits to stakes and prizes that are set out in the regulations
  • evidence that the gaming offered is within the law.

Applying for a prize gaming permit

You must complete the Prize gaming permit - application form  and send this with the relevant payment. Our licensing payments page explains what fees apply and how to pay them.

Do I have to copy my application for anyone else? 

The Act requires that we consult Derbyshire Constabulary on any prize gaming permit application which we receive. Please send a copy to them at the following address:

Chief Officer of Polie
c/o Licensing Officer
Derbyshire Constabulary
St. Mary's Wharf
Prime Parkway
Chester Green
Derby DE1 3AB

The police then have 14 days from receipt of the application to make any comments on it. 

What will you do with my application? 

We can either grant or refuse an application for a permit, but we cannot add conditions. Should we decide to refuse an application we will write to you with our reasons and you will be given the opportunity to make representations against our decision.

 There is no annual fee for this type of Permit. 

A permit lasts for 10 years.  

The permit may lapse for a number of reasons:

  • If the holder ceases to occupy the premises
  • If an individual permit holder dies, becomes incapable by reason of mental or physical incapacity, becomes bankrupt, or sequestration of his/her estate is ordered or,
  • If the company holding the permit ceases to exist, or goes into liquidation.  

Where a permit lapses, the Gambling Act allows the permit to be valid for a period of six months after it has lapsed by:

  • the personal representative of the holder (in case of death)
  • the trustee of the bankrupts estate (in the case of individual bankruptcy)
  • the holders interim or permanent trustee (in the case of an individual whose estate is sequestrated) or,
  • the liquidator of the company (in the case of a company that goes into liquidation).  

The permit may also cease to have effect if the holder surrenders it to us. Notice of such surrender must be accompanied by the permit, or by an explanation of why the permit cannot be produced. 

If the permit holder is convicted of a relevant offence the court may order the forfeiture of the permit. The court must order the holder to deliver the permit to us, or provide a statement explaining why it is not reasonably practicable to produce it. 

The court must notify us that it has made a forfeiture order as soon as is reasonably practicable. Such an order may be suspended by a higher court pending an appeal against conviction of a relevant offence. 

Yes. It must be kept on the premises and available for inspection at all times. It is an offence not to produce it when requested to do so by a police constable, an enforcement officer, or an authorised local authority officer. If the permit is lost, stolen or damaged, you may apply for a replacement and pay the appropriate fee. 

If the person to whom the permit is issued changes their name, or wants to be known by another name, they may send the permit back to us for amendment, together with the appropriate fee.

An application for renewal of a permit must be made between six months before the permit expires but no later than two months before it expires. The application procedure for renewal is the same as for a new permit, except that you will have to return your prize gaming permit along with your application form and documents. 

The duration of the permit will not be cut short or ended while a renewal application is pending, including any appeal against a decision not to renew. 

The participation fee which may be charged for any one chance to win a prize in a game will not exceed 50p. 

If someone who pays for a chance to win a prize in a game then has an opportunity to win more than one prize, the limit is still 50p for that chance. For example, in a game of bingo, the purchase of one game card (the chance) may provide the person with three opportunities to win a prize (one line, two lines, full house), but the maximum participation fee for each game card is still 50p. There is a limit of £500 on an aggregate of participation fees that may be charged in a particular game.

A money prize cannot exceed £35, except where the prize gaming is being provided in an adult gaming centre, in which case the limit is £50. The aggregate amount or value of prizes in a game cannot exceed £500.