Site and vehicle inspections
A constable or an officer of the council may enter and inspect a licensed site at any reasonable time on notice to the site manager. An inspection can also take place if:
- reasonable attempts to give such notice have been made and have failed or
- entry to the site is reasonably required for the purpose of ascertaining whether the provisions of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act are being complied with or,
- the giving of notice would defeat that purpose.
If your premises is a residential property then the police and ourselves need to request a warrant from a Justice of the Peace, if there are reasonable grounds for believing that entry to the premises is reasonably required for the purpose of:
- securing compliance with the provision of the Act
- ascertaining whether those provisions are being complied with.
A constable may stop and search the vehicles(s) of mobile collectors with regard to the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013, but also wider considerations in relation to vehicle road worthiness, possession of insurance and correct tax status.
A constable or an officer of the Council can check if the correct licences are displayed in the vehicle.