These should be generally clean. A clean table surface covered with plastic laminate or other impervious surface should be available. The operator should have easy access to hot and cold running water, soap and paper towels and should wash his/her hands before and after each operation at a suitable wash hand basin. Sanitisers or bleach-based solution should be used for cleaning surfaces and if body fluid spilled.
Hygienic procedure for each operation
- Wash and dry hands
- Seat Customer
- Place clean paper towel on tabletop
- Clean area to be epilated with spirit swab (e.g. medi-swab)
- Clean operators hands with fresh spirit swab
- Clean forceps with spirit swab
- Open pre-sterilized needle packet carefully so as not to touch the sharp end or the needle shaft
- Insert into electrolysis machine and commence procedure
- At the end of the procedure dispose of needles in "sharps" box being careful not to touch the sharp end or the shaft. Tissues and swabs should be discarded in a plastic lined bin
- Clean epilated skin with fresh spirit swab
- Record the name and address of the customer and the date and details of treatment
- Explain after-care to customer
- Reusable equipment to be sterilised
- Hard surfaces cleaned and disinfected.
There is a small risk of bacterial infection after electrolysis. The epilated area should be kept dry. Infection should be referred to a doctor - antibiotic lotions or creams should only be used under the direction of a doctor. Apart from surgical spirit, disinfectants should not be used as they may cause an allergic reaction.