What does the Housing Standards team do?
- The team ensure that private rented homes in Derby meet legal requirements for health and safety and provides advice and support for tenants.
- We are also responsible for the licensing of houses in multiple occupation (HMOs).
- Where properties in poor condition are let to tenants and improvements are not carried out, we have enforcement powers under the Housing Act 2004 and other legislation to make sure landlords bring properties up to an acceptable standard.
- We do not investigate complaints about Social Housing. We encourage you to make a complaint to your landlord/registered provider in the first instance and then escalate to the Housing Ombudsman if you are unhappy with your landlord’s final response. Information regarding how to make a complaint is available on the Social Housing Complaints website.
Advice for tenants on things to look for when renting a property can be found in the Governments and How to rent guide.
- We provide advice and guidance to landlords and will email out updates to all landlords and managing agents of whom we hold contact details. We also run occasional training sessions and seminars for landlords and managing agents.
- We also work closely with East Midlands Property Owners Ltd and the National Residential Landlords Association and encourage all landlords to become a member of an association. These organisations are usually excellent sources of information and advice. Basic advice for landlords can be found in the Government How to let guide.
The Department for Work and Pensions has published information for landlords about Universal Credit Landlord guide about Understanding Universal Credit . You can also visit the government website, Universal Credit - Universal Credit and landlords, for more information.
If your tenant is liable for Council Tax and needs help with Council Tax payments, they can make a Council Tax Support claim.
More information on the work carried out by Housing Standards can be found in the download Housing Standards Overview 2020-21.