Animal health and welfare
What is animal health and welfare?
The law says that animals should be treated humanely and that their farming and movement should not cause or spread diseases. We ensure this by:
- checking movements and records at farms
- monitoring welfare standards of farm animals
- investigating reports about illegally imported animals
- confirming that animal licenses and identification documents are correct
- ensuring dead animals are disposed of correctly.
Where can I find more information?
The following articles are published by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute and are designed for businesses to understand the law on animal health and welfare: