Polling place review
From 1 October 2023 the Council will review the polling places and polling districts used in the city.
Why is a review needed?
We are responsible for reviewing polling districts and places for the Parliamentary constituencies of Derby North, Derby South and the parts of Mid-Derbyshire that are in the city.
A review must be conducted between 1 October 2023 and 31 January 2025 under The Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013.
How is the review conducted?
The responsibility for reviewing polling districts and places rests with the Council for the Parliamentary constituencies of Derby North, Derby South and the parts of Mid-Derbyshire that are in the city.
We must comply with certain requirements when conducting the review:
- We must seek to ensure that all electors have such reasonable facilities for voting as are practicable
- So far as is reasonable and practicable every polling place should be accessible to electors who are disabled
- A polling place must be designated for each polling district, unless the circumstances of a polling district are such that the location does not materially affect the convenience of the electors
- The polling place should be an area in the district, unless there are special circumstances
- The (Acting) Returning Officer must comment on the existing and proposed arrangements and allocate electors to polling stations.
What is not covered by this review?
This review will not consider changes to the city boundary, Parliamentary constituency boundaries or ward boundaries.
Terminology used in the review
- A polling district is the geographical area created by sub-dividing a constituency or ward.
- A polling place is the building or area in which a polling station is located.
- A polling station is the actual room or area where voting takes place.
Polling place review timetable
|Notice of review||2 October 2023|
|Publication of (Acting) Returning Officer’s representations||2 October 2023|
|Consultation opens||2 October 2023|
|Consultation closes||31 December 2023|
|Changes to polling places and districts implemented||1 February 2024|
Have your say
Consultation will take place from 2 October 2023 until 31 December 2023. Information on how you can make comments on the proposals and suggestions for polling places will be published on the Council’s ‘Let’s Talk Derby’ site.
We would welcome comments regarding the current or proposed arrangements. If you disagree with a proposed polling place it would be helpful if you suggest an alternative venue that you think the Council should consider along with the reasons you think this is a better option.
We would particularly encourage any comments about the accessibility of polling station voting to voters with any type of disability, either at specific polling places or in general.
The Council is required to publish any representations made in the course of the review.
Maps are available for each current and proposed polling place:
- Abbey Ward
- Allestree Ward
- Alvaston North Ward
- Alvaston South Ward
- Arboretum Ward
- Blagreaves Ward
- Chaddesden East Ward
- Chaddesden North Ward
- Chaddesden West Ward
- Chellaston and Shelton Lock Ward
- Darley Ward
- Littleover Ward
- Mackworth and New Zealand Ward
- Mickleover Ward
- Normanton Ward
- Oakwood Ward
- Sinfin and Osmaston Ward
- Spondon Ward
Information and guidance on Polling Place Reviews, including how to appeal a review, can be found on the Electoral Commission’s website.