Emerging local plan
On 8 December 2021, Council Cabinet approved work on starting a new local plan for Derby. It will cover the period to around 2040 and will address the challenges facing the city, including:
- accommodating the Government's revised housing requirements,
- adapting to climate change
- the city’s recovery from the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
- the regeneration of the city centre.
Work on the new plan began in 2022. To gather ideas and inform the proposals, a wide range of stakeholders will be engaged, including residents, communities and businesses.
Until the new plan is adopted, decisions on proposals will still be made using the policies of the adopted local plan:
- Derby City Local Plan Part 1 (2017)
- City of Derby Local Plan Review (2006)
Local plan consultation list
If you are not already on our local plan consultation list and want to be kept updated the new local plan's progress, please email PlanningPolicy@derby.gov.uk.