Scrap metal site manager changes
Site manager updates
If the name and or address of the site manager changes you must notify the licensing team of the change.
The application process differs slightly depending on if an applicant has had previous relevant convictions or enforcement action.
Applicant with previous relevant convictions or enforcement action
- A suitability test is required before an application can be submitted.
- The case may be determined by the Council's Licensing Committee.
Applicant with no previous relevant convictions or enforcement action
- No suitability test will be required.
The Council must determine if an applicant is a suitable person to carry on the business as a scrap metal dealer. The suitability test outlined below combined with information from the the basic disclosure certificate will be used to make a decision.
How suitability is determined
The Council may have regard to any information which it consider to be relevant, this may include:
- Whether the applicant or site manager has been convicted of any relevant offence
- Whether the applicant or site manager has been the subject of any relevant enforcement action
- Whether there has been any refusal of an application of the issue or renewal of a scrap metal licence, and the reasons for the refusal
- Whether there has been any refusal of an application for a relevant environmental permit or registration, and the reasons for the refusal
- If there has been any previous revocation of a scrap metal licence, and the reasons for the revocation;
- Whether the applicant has demonstrated there will be adequate procedures in place to ensure compliance with the Act.
When establishing the applicant’s suitability, the Council may consult with the following agencies:
- Derbyshire Constabulary
- HM Revenue and Customs
- Environment Agency
- The Council’s Environmental Protection Team
- The Council’s Trading Standards Team.
If there is relevant information from any of the consultees, or queries regarding an applicant’s suitability, the application will be presented to a panel from the General Licensing Committee.
If your application is refused, you will have a right of appeal to a magistrates' court.
For more information view the Derby City Council Scrap Metal Dealers Policy.
Documents required before submitting a change request
You will need to apply for a Basic Disclosure Certificate from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Your DBS Disclosure is only valid for three months from the date that the disclosure was issued by the Disclosure and Barring Service.
How to apply
1. Complete the Scrap metal dealer variation site manager application form.
2. View and pay the licence fee prior to submitting your application. Our licensing payments page explains what fees apply and how to pay them.
2. Email the following to email@example.com:
- licence holder details - name, address, email and telephone number
- business name and address
- current site manager(s) details - name, address, email and telephone number
- new site manager(s) details - name, address, email and telephone number
- supporting documentation
- copy of your payment receipt.
You must include the supporting documentation and a copy of your payment receipt. Any application received without a payment receipt or supporting documentation will not be processed.
We must receive your application and payment receipt within 28 days of any changes.