Apply for a street trading consent
How do I apply?
All applicants must be 17 years of age or above.
Please download and complete the street trading application form.
The following need to be submitted with the application:
- a completed and signed street trading application form
- the application fee*.
- where the proposed activity will take place at a fixed position, a map should be submitted clearly identifying the proposed location by marking the site boundary with a red line.
- three colour photographs of the trading unit illustrating different elevations of the unit.
- a copy of the Public Liability Insurance Certificate (£5m minimum)
- evidence of permission from the landowner if on private ground like DIY superstore car park, supermarket car park, retail or leisure facility car park, public house car park or similar.
- basic Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate (must be less than 3 months old from the date of issue)
- Food Hygiene Certificate – personal (for food-led traders)
- catering vehicles will be required to show valid and current electrical gas installation report.
*Our Licensing payments page explains how to pay for a street trading consent. If you have paid by debit, credit card or Bacs, then you must include a copy of your receipt with the application.
Any application received without payment will not be processed.
How do I apply for a basic disclosure check?
Applicants may obtain their criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Your disclosure is only valid for 3 months from the date that the disclosure was issued by the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Will I need to apply for anything else?
You may need to make enquiries with Derby Live for a position within the city centre before applying to Licensing for street trading consent.
For further information visit the Derby Live website - city centre space hire.
If you are intending to use a position within one of the city’s parks then you may need to obtain permission from our Parks team before applying to Licensing for street trading consent. For further information email: Parks@derby.gov.uk.
If you intend to operate a food business in the city you must register your food business with the Food and Safety team. Registration for food is free and involves completing a food premises registration form.
For any electric hook-up enquiries please refer to the Derby Live website - city centre space hire. You will need to email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange the electric hook-up after your application has been granted by us and then payments will be arranged for the electrical supply through Derby Live.
Do I need to advertise my street trading application?
Our street trading policy requires you to advertise your applications.
We will ask you for evidence that you have advertised your application correctly.
You must advertise your application by:
- displaying a street trading public notice, where it can be easily read by the public – this must be at least A4 in size and printed in black ink on white paper.
- displaying notice for 28 consecutive days from the day after the application was made - it is advisable to phone or email us to confirm when your 28-day application period ends.
If the operator uses a vehicle that is moved off-site during non-trading hours, for example, a fishmonger or similar then the notice needs to be displayed on a permanent fixture such as a lamp post, railings or similar on the site where you trade from.
Ice cream vans and similar vehicles will need to display the notice on the vehicle.
Please submit a photograph showing your public notice on display by emailing email@example.com
How long does an application for a consent take?
When an application is submitted, a 28-day statutory consultation period will follow starting the day after we receive a valid application and fee.
This allows time for the responsible authorities and interested parties to give their responses to the application – known as ‘representations’. This is done by considering the street trading policy.
How long will my street trading consent be valid for and can it be revoked?
A street trading consent cannot be granted for a period of time exceeding twelve months and can be revoked at any time.
Can I get a replacement badge or consent?
Yes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request and pay the appropriate fee.
Our licensing payments page explains how to pay for a licence. If you have paid by debit, credit card or Bacs then you must include a copy of your receipt with the application.
How do I renew my street trading consent?
Please follow the instructions in section How do I apply?
Can I transfer my consent to new owner?
The consent cannot be transferred to another owner. The new owner must apply for a new street trading consent.
If you are event catering where you are attending a one-off event you will not be required to apply for a street trading consent.
Safeguarding information for applicants
The Licensing team is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy when you use our services. Please view Licensing Team Privacy Notices for further information. Printed copies are available on request.