Public health funerals
When a person dies at home or in a residential or nursing home in the Derby city area and there is no one or no money to pay for the funeral, we may be able to arrange their funeral.
The funeral is very dignified, but we do not pay for flowers. A service at the chapel can be held if requested.
After a cremation, their family can collect the ashes from the crematorium for a small fee. Please let us know when you contact us if you would like the ashes for a private ceremony.
Contact the Environmental Protection Team at email@example.com or 01332 642020 for further information.
If a person dies at home or in a residential / nursing home you need to contact us immediately.
We need to know:
- The name and address of the deceased
- The date of death and birth, if possible
- Where the deceased is
- Who has the certificate of death
- Any paperwork that you have
- Who needs to be notified of the funeral arrangements
If the deceased has died in hospital, the hospital will make the arrangements and pay for the funeral.
- Register the death
- Arrange to search the home of the deceased for a will, bank information and other documents or property to pay for the funeral and contact relatives
- Arrange for a cremation or burial
- Notify the Treasury Solicitor if there is money in the estate once the funeral has been paid for.