Check out the latest advice, service disruptions, information and support about Coronavirus
If you can't get to Raynesway HWRC or need some help to dispose of old furniture, you can book a bulky waste collection. The easiest way to book and pay is online.
Alternatively, you can arrange and pay for a collection over the phone on 0333 200 6981. Telephone lines are open from 9am until 3pm Monday to Friday.
We will only collect from domestic properties.
If you are a landlord clearing items from a rental property or a business, you will need to contact our trade team to arrange a commercial waste collection.
Generally, there is a charge based on what you want us to collect, and the number of items.
For example, the following count as single items:
- a table
- a sofa
- an armchair
- a mattress
- a bed frame
- three black sacks.
There are certain items or materials which we cannot collect.
Our charges are:
- 1 to 3 items – £32.90
- 4 items – £38.70
- 5 items – £44.00
- 6 items (maximum) – £49.30
- fridges and freezers – £11.20 per item
You can pay by debit or credit card over the phone through Derby Direct on 0333 200 6981. Telephone lines are open from 9am until 3pm Monday to Friday. To arrange a collection complete our bulky waste collection online form or telephone 0333 200 6981. We will tell you your collection date when we get your payment. If you have more than six items, please complete our commercial waste collection online form to get a quote (£45 minimum).
We are not able to collect:
- bathroom, kitchen and other fitted units
- concrete, rubble, soil and general builders' waste
- doors, gates and windows and window frames
- fluid containers, such as oil drums or storage heaters
- gas bottles
- small items of domestic waste that haven't been put in sacks or boxes
- vehicle parts
- large sheets of mirrored glass
- sheds, fence panels and greenhouses.
You should arrange disposal of these items by a licensed waste carrier or hire a skip. If you hire someone to move your waste, make sure they have a waste carrier licence. You can check a public register of waste carriers on the Environment Agency website.
What should I do on the day of collection?
Please make sure:
- items are ready for collection from 6.30am (we are unable to provide an exact time)
- items are put together at one point at the front of the house unless otherwise agreed with Waste Management
- small items are placed in sacks or boxes.
Please note that we:
- won’t collect any items that you don't tell us about
- may decide to send more than one vehicle to allow us to recycle as much as possible
- cannot collect waterlogged or overheavy items.
If I don't want the Council to collect larger items, what can I do?
You can take larger items and additional waste to Raynesway Household Waste and Recycling Centre. Find the location, opening hours and what items the centre can accept. Garden waste can be recycled through our free brown bin scheme or taken to Raynesway.
Reuse or refuse?
Before you throw anything away, have a look at reuse options. Items in good condition can be sold or donated. Some local charities offer a free collection service for items of furniture.
Lots of furniture can also be upcycled to give it a new look and feel. Upcycling can cost less than buying brand new furniture.
What should I do if I have a query?
If you have a query about waste management, please complete our online contact us form.