Collections and charges
If you can't get to Raynesway HWRC or need some help to dispose of old furniture, you can book a bulky waste collection.
We will only collect waste from domestic properties.
There is a charge based on what you want us to collect, and the number of items.
For example, the following count as single items:
- a table
- a sofa
- an armchair
- a mattress
- a bed frame
- three black sacks.
Our charges are:
- 1 to 3 items – £32.90
- 4 items – £38.70
- 5 items – £44.00
- 6 items (maximum) – £49.30
- fridges and freezers – £11.20 per item
If you have more than six items, you can book an additional collection.
What we can't collect
We are not able to collect:
- bathroom, kitchen and other fitted units
- concrete, rubble, soil and general builders' waste
- doors, gates and windows and window frames
- fluid containers, such as oil drums or storage heaters
- gas bottles
- small items of domestic waste that haven't been put in sacks or boxes
- vehicle parts
- large sheets of mirrored glass
- sheds, fence panels and greenhouses.
You should arrange disposal of these items by a licensed waste carrier or hire a skip. If you hire someone to move your waste, make sure they have a waste carrier licence. You can check a public register of waste carriers on the Environment Agency website.
Booking a collection
The easiest way to book and pay is online.
Alternatively, you can pay by debit or credit card over the phone through Derby Direct on 0333 200 6981. Telephone lines are open from 9am until 3pm Monday to Friday.
To make sure we can collect the items please make sure that:
- All items are ready to collect from 6.30am (we cannot provide an exact time of collection)
- All items are presented together at one point just outside the boundary at the front of your property (unless otherwise agreed with Waste Management)
- Small items are placed in sacks or boxes
Please note that we:
- won’t collect any items that you don't tell us about
- may decide to send more than one vehicle to allow us to recycle as much as possible
- cannot collect waterlogged or overheavy items
- will not return or provide refunds if your items aren’t presented as described above
Information for landlords
If you are a landlord clearing items from a rental property or a business, you will need to contact our trade team to arrange a commercial waste collection.
Frequently asked questions
What should I do before booking a bulky waste collection?
Consider Reuse and Recycle options such as selling or donating items if they’re in good condition.
Some charities offer a collection service for items that can be donated.
There are a number of local selling sites where items can be sold.
You could also think about upcycling or repairing items to give them a new lease of life.
If I don't want the Council to collect larger items, what can I do?
Items can be taken to Raynesway HWRC. You’ll need to make a free booking before you visit. Alternatively, arrange disposal of these items by a licensed waste carrier or hire a skip. If you hire someone to move your waste, make sure they have a waste carrier licence. You can check a public register of waste carriers on the Environment Agency website.
What should I do if I have a query?
If you have a query about waste management, please complete our online contact us form. Alternatively, you can call 0333 200 6981. Telephone lines are open from 9am until 3pm Monday to Friday. Deaf people can text 07774 333 412.