Considerations when opening a new food business
Advice on starting a new food business can be found on the Food Standards Agency website and Derby City Council Food Safety advice for businesses.
The Food Standards Agency have also produced a booklet, Starting up: Your first steps to running a catering business, which gives an outline of all the main things a new food business needs to know.
Before starting the business you will need to consider:
- Whether the business has appropriate planning permission?
- Are the premises suitable for your planned activities?
- How are hazards associated with food going to be controlled?
- Do you have a food management system?
- Will I need to provide toilets for customer use?
- If structural alterations are needed will building regulations approval be needed?
- How can I keep pests out?
- Will a licence be needed such as for late night refreshment or alcohol licence?
- How do I dispose of my waste?
- What do I need to consider for health and safety within the business?
- Fire Safety, contact the Fire Officer for advice on 01332 291134.