Taxi drivers

In order to ensure all applicants are ‘fit and proper’ to hold a licence we require:

  1. A completed Driver application form.
  2. An enhanced criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and subscription to the Online Update Service. Link to DBS Acceptable Documents and link to DBS On-line Update Service guidance notes.  DBS certificates may be obtained from a third party organisation, please read Third Party Disclosure and Barring Certificates.  Complete the  Disclosure and Barring Privacy Policy Statement form - which must be completed with a DBS application form. Failure to provide this statement will mean we cannot process your application. Also read the DBS Privacy Policy Statement and the Council's guidance on Storage, Handling, Retention, Disposal of DBS Certification.
  3. A medical examination from your own GP that proves the person meets the requirements of the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency Group 2 medical for vocational drivers. Download a Medical Form for more information.
  4. Successful completion of the Derby City Knowledge test. Download Knowledge Test Guidance Notes for more information.
  5. Successful completion of a practical driving test aimed specifically at taxi driving. Dual licence applicants will need to pass the advanced test that includes the safe transportation of wheelchair passengers. Download a List of Driving Test Providers.
  6. A check on the applicants’ immigration status, including their Right to Work. Download a list of Home Office Acceptable Documents for more information.
  7. Successful completion of the Council’s course in Safeguarding Awareness. Current Safeguarding Training Dates. You may find Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation Information Sheet for Drivers useful.
  8. Dual licence applicants will also need to complete the Derby City Practical Driving Test, please see Derby City Practical Driving Test Guidance for more information.
  9. If you are not a United Kingdom (UK) national and have not lived within the UK for at least five years, you will need to obtain a certificate of Good Conduct from the relevant national embassy
  10. One passport sized photo.

Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have held a full UK or European drivers’ licence for at least 12 months.

Disclosure and Barring Service criminal record check forms have a unique number and cannot be downloaded from our website. Please email the Licensing Team and we will post the DBS application form out to you

As from 1 July 2017 we will use the Derby Penalty Point Scheme when assessing a persons’ suitability to be granted a licence or to continue to hold a licence. You are advised to read the Penalty Point Scheme before you apply.

Complete a Driver application form. If you do not have access to a computer or printer, you can use the public computers in any of the Council's libraries.  Please post or email your application form with your current driving licence and a completed DBS form, together with the acceptable documents and those needed for your immigration status/right to work check.

You can then book onto the knowledge test and the safeguarding awareness course, but you are advised to wait until you have received your DBS certificate. The Knowledge Test Scheduled Dates and Safeguarding Training Dates are subject to availability.

You will need to provide all the required documents, including a passport sized photograph before a licence will be considered and pay the correct fees. Our licensing payments page explains what fees apply and how to pay them.

Once granted you must complete the National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) Level 2 Certificate in Road Passenger Vehicle Driving (Taxi and Private Hire) within 3 years.  Please see the Gateway Training Solutions website for more information on how to obtain this qualification.

Once granted you will be expected to comply with licence conditions:

If you are interested in getting a licence to drive a stretched limousine with eight seats or less, or to drive a tuk-tuk please email the Licensing Team at

Some public registers are published online and are updated at least every three months. If you have any queries please email the Licensing Team.